+47 977 56 789 | firstname.lastname@example.org | Jostedalsvegen 3041 Gjerde | 6871 Jostedal | Norway | GPS: 61°37’50’N / 7°15’58’E
The nature in Jostedal is our greatest asset and attraction
Jostedalen runs northwards from the innermost parts of Sognefjorden (the world’s longest fjord, free of ice) to alpine, glaciated mountains. Jostedalsbreen National Park and Breheimen National Park in close proximity on either side of this stunning valley, offers breathtaking views and magnificent natural experiences.Jostedalen strekker seg nordover frå Sognefjorden (verdas lengste, isfrie fjord) til høgfjellet og byr på fantastisk natur med og på kvar si side av dalen.
Jostedal Camping is only:
- 2,7 km NE (NorthEast) of the nearest part of Jostedalsbreen National Park (as the crow flies).
- 1,9 km WSW of Breheimen National Park.There are two Nature Reserves and one Protected Area within a radius of 15 km from Jostedal Camping.
There are two Nature Reserves and one Protected Area within a radius of 15 km from Jostedal Camping.
- Nigardsbreen Nature Reserve is only 3 km N of us (as the crow flies).
The earth has experienced many ice-cold periods throughout the planets existence. The last glaciation period runs nearly 3 million years back and consisted of numerous different ice ages. The last one had its maximum ice cover about 20.000 years ago. Glaciers are among the most important landscape sculptors, at least in Western Norway. They have contributed to our scenery by carving out most of the fjords and valleys.
The processes forming our landscape are still active in the Jostedal area.
- There are usually many moraine-generations around most valley glaciers being fed by Jostedalsbreen plateau glacier. Brevegen , a private toll road, runs through the fantastic moraine landscape in the Nigardsbreen nature reserve. Brevegen also run the passenger shuttle boat “Jostedalsrypa” on the Nigardsbreen glacier lake.
- At Fåbergstølsgrandane, 11,2 km NE of Jostedal Camping (as the crow flies), you will find the largest active sandur (glacial river plain) in mainland Europe. It is situated about half way up the road to Styggevatnet.
- All this, and then some, you can learn more about at the movie theater at Breheimsenteret. The distance from Jostedal Camping to the National Park Information Center / museum is only 2,5 km, either by road or hiking trail. Breheimsenteret is an attraction in its own right, both for its architecture and its unique location, with direct view to Nigardsbreen glacier.
Several arms of the Jostedal Glacier flows into the many side valleys of Jostedal. Here is a list of glaciers near Jostedal Camping, with distance (as the crow flies) and direction:
- Nigardsbreen 6 NW (towards NorthWest), where you can choose from quite a few guided glacier hikes, short and long ones, on the most famous glacier in Norway
- Tuftebreen 6,5 km VWNW. Very nice, but rather steep hike from the parking at Bergset along the old side moraine leading up to the glacier. Glacier-guiding on request
- Tunsbergdalsbreen 8 km WSW. Guided glacier hike combined with kayaking or boat trip in RIB. • Spørteggbreen 8,1 km ESE. Very nice hike starting at the parking by the info board about Breheimen National Park.
- Spørteggbreen 8,1 km ASA. FWSW. Guided glacier hike combined with kayaking or boat trip in RIB. • Spørteggbreen 8,1 km ESE. Very nice hike starting at the parking by the info board about Breheimen National Park.
- Fåbergstølsbreen 9 km NNE. Guiding on request. Nice hike from the road towards Styggevatnet. • Bergsetbreen 9,7 km WNW. The trail from the parking at Bergset is claimed to be one of the most beautiful family-hikes in Norway.
- Bergsetbreen 9,7 km WNW. The trail from the parking at Bergset is claimed to be one of the most beautiful family-hikes in Norway.
- Stegholtbreen 15,2 km NNE. Nice view from the road towards the glacier and Fåbergstølsgrandane (the largest sandur /glacial river plain in Northern Europe).
- Austdalsbreen 20,4 km NNE. Guided glacier hike combined with kayaking or boat trip in a RIB. The remote and very nice location at Styggevatnet is a drive worth while for everyone, even tourists not attending the guided tour.